Monday, January 28, 2013

Going to Miami

I just got back from Miami yesterday and what do you know it fog/rain/snow/slushes when I get back. What a pain!



Matt and I had the wonderful opportunity to attend the Winfield Summit Event in Miami, Florida over the weekend. We stayed at a 4 star hotel, soaked up the sun, and did all sort of touristy things. All because Matt was one of the top 5% sellers of Winfield goods. For those of you who don't know what those goods are, they are things like fertilizer.

First stop, lunch! Bud light and wings. Not exactly touristy, but we met a couple on their honeymoon and another couple on an anniversary trip.




I spent a fair amount of time on the beach, or at the very least sitting by the pool. Isn't that gorgeous? There was even a couple of naps poolside.

One thing that I was unaware of was the amount of homeless people sleeping on the sidewalks and in the parks all around Miami. We spent most of our time in the touristy/rich part of town, so I wasn't exactly expecting that.Matt and I were also approach by a man on the street asking for money to buy his kids happy meals. We didn't have any cash on us, but the other couple we were traveling with gave the guy a few bucks.

There was a business casual dinner to recognize all the attendees so we got to get all gussied up. There were over 350 first time attendees there and about a dozen pregnant women. I guess you could say there were a lot of young couples. Another observation was the various shades of "business casual." There was everything from nice jeans to suits. Some women were in formal gowns, others in jeans and cowboy boots.


The lady who took the following picture didn't actually speak English and she was just as white as us North Dakotan's but I would say it turned out pretty well.

Some of the BEST food the whole trip was a little hole in the wall cheapo pizza shop. The slices were huge and we ate outside soaking up the 75 degree weather.


There you have it. The 411 of our trip. We had a blast. I came back with a tan. It was nice to have Matt all to myself for 4 days. My only complaint would be the lack of proficient English speakers in Florida. We struggled to communicate with the maids and almost every restaurant server. More the once we just smiled, said yes, and hope for the best. This was most frustrating when I was trying to get a doughnut at the airport. I finally had to point to the one I wanted. Ah well, were would we be without life's crazy adventures.

1 comment: