Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Laboring Last Weekend

Laboring last weekend, because it was Labor Day. Aren't I punny? Matt came to visit last weekend. It was his first real visit since the move and gosh did he have a honey do list. We finished not one, not two, but THREE Pinterest projects this weekend.

First off, a project that has taken over my garage since I moved in.



My old Target bookcase didn't survive the move so Matt volunteered to build me a new one. This became a "we" project when I signed up to prime and paint when he wasn't around. I also had the task of choosing the color. I wanted something that would match my duvet cover because the bookcase would be in the bedroom. I was that yahoo who actually brings in a pillow sham to Home Depot (Matt suggested I bring in the shower curtain, sadly I didn't think that was necessary).




I picked out 3 colors I thought were close and had a sample at home I wanted to try. I'm glad I did. The sample I liked best in store ended up looking a little like baby poo when freshly applied (my dad had that problem with one of his paint selections recently as well). That was a big no. I ended up choosing "Antique Tin." 





When Matt got to Iowa on Friday, we had the task of nailing and screwing all the pieces together. All in in 100 degree Iowa heat. We took a lot of breaks. Or worked in the mornings. We got some nasty looks from the neighbors for pounding away in our garage at 8 a.m. Who knew we were THOSE people? Anyone who knows either sets of my grandparents probably wouldn't be surprised. Anywho, the bookcase is finished and plenty of room for more books!



The second project was a coffee table made out of milk crates from Micheals. This was a project that we bought the materials for last winter with the intentions of it being a Napoleon project for Matt. Well Matt got busy with agronomy season and it didn't get completed until this past weekend. 



The tutorial stated you should stain the crates and add wheels for increased mobility. I decided I liked the idea of white washing better and not exactly sure why a coffee table needs to be mobile so the wheels were left off too. I'm really happy how it turned out.




The final project we did kinda on a whim. Our dresser didn't match our bedroom set anymore and we had extra paint, so why not refinish it? Matt put me to work using the power sander to get the old paint off. I can now say that I know how to operate a power tool. 





I love how the knobs pop against the grey. Yes, I know there is a knob missing. I still have to make a run to home depot to get a replacement of a stripped knob. 





For those of you out there who think we are all work and no play, some of the fun things we did this weekend including:

The farmers market in Downtown Des Moines










Granite City Brunch




Baked monkey bread




We also spent one afternoon car "window" shopping. I got to test drive a Ford Fusion and a Chevy Malibu. We are sticking with American just in case we live in rural america again and I need my small town mechanic to be making my repairs. I'm looking for a car with a touch screen command center and a GPS (Matt doesn't like me messing with my phone's GPS when i'm driving, shocker). Chevy's were about $5,000 more expensive and the do NOT offer GPS. They do however offer a compass. Ain't that cute? No decision yet, but its clear which way i'm leaning. 

Other exciting events this weekend included a fantasy football draft with coworkers (Perry thought this was Matt's idea. I will make it very clear I won my league last year THANK YOU VERY MUCH), dinners at home, and plenty of time on the couch watching HGTV and Food Network. Are we old farts or what? :) 

Next on the to-do list? Clean up the mess all these projects made in the garage. Maybe I will be able to park in there before the first snow fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment